GST Returns Filing: Offline Utilities vs ASPs
With the new indirect tax scheme in full swing, one of the biggest concerns regarding GST is compliance with filing returns. Non-compliance does not only attract huge penalties, but can also adversely affect your business’s compliance ratings. Hence, deciding upon a method of filing returns is an important consideration for your business.
Standard mechanisms for the filing of GST returns include:
- Electronic filing which is mandatory
- Uploading invoice-level information
- Auto-population of ITC to those of recipients, from supplier returns
- Matching of invoice-level information
- In case of mismatch, auto-reversal of ITC
Moglix, is hence taking a look at both offline utilities and ASP filings and comparing the ease of filing returns via both the methods:
- The GSTN provided offline utility is in an easy to use Excel format, and the template can be downloaded from the GST portal. Taxpayers can use it to collate their data, on a regular basis.
- Transactions details such as supply invoices issued are exported, along with details of supplies made to consumers. Credit and debit note details for both registered and unregistered taxpayers are also added.
- The data in the template is then imported by an offline tool, that will generate a JSON file and upload it to the portal. The major limitation that arises here, is that an offline utility can only process up to 5000 invoices at a time, or a file size of 5mb.
- Another area of hassle is that the imports can only be made from Excel or CSV files, whereas GSPs and ASP have no such limitations in terms of format, as well as size.
Hence, the GSTR1 template can be used to file returns without connecting to the internet. Its true value lies in filing returns from remote areas, where the access to a fast/stable internet connection is a problem.
ASPs (Application Service Providers):
Using an ASP has many benefits, such as necessary technical guidance for meeting the stringent return deadlines, automation of taxpayer and GSTN system etc. that can help in end-to-end compliance.
More benefits of filing returns through ASPs include:
- Usability across platforms and technologies like desktops, tablets, mobiles etc. which can cater to individual requirements and availability.
- Automated uploading and downloading of data.
- Secured access to the GST APIs, ensuring integrity and privacy of the taxpayer.
- The ability to adapt according to the changes in taxation and other rules of business, as well as end-user usage models.
- Integration of customer software, that is already being used by customers for their daily transactions.
- Assistance with the matching of input tax credits.
ASPs can help in saving time as well as the effort from a tax-payers point of view, with their multiple data approach and no requirement of actual knowledge about taxation. If you’re looking for an ASP that can assist you with absolute compliance automation, GreenGST is the answer. Contact us and let us take care of all your GST woes.